Worked in Navy public affairs, print journalism, photography, and broadcast journalism for 20 years, including instructor experience at an ACE-accredited institution.
Demonstrated leadership ability in personnel supervision, training, career development, and project management for 14 years.
Excellent interpersonal communication and written skills.
June – August 2018
Internship at the U.S. Army Medical Materiel Command
– Used 20 years of Navy experience to write articles and take photos for the command.
– Used recently learned graphics skills to create infographics.
– Learned about military medical logistics.
March 2014 – August 2016
Journalism/Public Affairs Instructor, Visual Communications Department
Defense Information School, Fort Meade, Maryland
– Taught the journalism and public affairs functional areas of the basic mass communication specialist course, personalizing lesson plans for every class taught.
– Acted as team leader for multiple iterations of the course.
February 2013 – March 2014
Production Personnel Supervisor, Navy production
Defense Media Activity, Fort Meade, Maryland
– Supervised personnel responsible for production of four daily news reports, the Navy’s flagship online magazine, and radio reports
– Coordinated production of news stories across the country, ensuring alignment with Navy communication goals; organized meetings among leadership; created daily and weekly reports.
– Responsible for editing content for upload to Navy website using content management system.
July 2012 – January 2013
Bureau Chief, Kandahar detachment
American Forces Network Afghanistan, Kandahar, Afghanistan
– Led 5 service members across all branches responsible for the production of broadcast news products covering the entire southern Afghanistan region, as well as maintaining a broadcast signal for Department of Defense personnel in the region. Responsible for meeting housing, food, and supply needs for everyone at the command, including visitors.
– Personally produced a minimum of 10 broadcast products per month.
January – June 2012
Supervisor, New Media division
Defense Media Activity, Fort Meade, Maryland
– Managed a team of five broadcasters, while standing up a new division focused on social media and web products with a multimedia approach.
May – December 2011
Associate Producer, All Hands Television
Naval Media Center, Washington DC and Defense Media Activity, Fort Meade, Maryland
– Produced a 30-minute monthly television news magazine, responsible for studio production, editing, producing stories, and leading personnel producing stories around the world.
– Ensured a continuous flow of operations during the command’s move from Washington, DC to Fort Meade, Maryland.
April 2008 – April 2011
Supervisor, Media Department
USS Theodore Roosevelt (CVN 71), Norfolk, Virginia
– Led 26 people during an 8-month deployment, producing a daily newspaper, numerous reproduction jobs, video stories, and daily photo releases of shipboard operations.
– Coordinated the removal of everything from 71 rooms in preparation for ship rehabilitation.
– Managed 200 personnel, coordinating ship security and cleanliness for 24-hour periods every 8 days.
– Led 100 personnel in daily work in a shipyard environment in two locations. Work included print production, news releases, photo releases, event coordination, tours, a weekly newspaper, personnel records, and training and education for nearly 1,000 people.
January 2005 – April 2008
Public Affairs Specialist
NCIS, Washington, D.C.
– Provided photography service for special events and awards ceremonies; wrote news releases focused on Navy security forces.
November 2004 – January 2005
Videographer, Presidential Inauguration
Joint Task Force-Armed Forces Inaugural Committee, Washington, D.C.
– Provided video documentation of the 55th Presidential Inauguration, as well as video documentation and support of events and rehearsals leading up to the inauguration.
September 2001 – October 2004
American Forces Network Sigonella, Sicily, Italy
– Anchored and edited daily news broadcasts; led video news production team.
– Created daily and weekly reports for higher headquarters in television, radio, and spot production, providing command-priority information to 6,500 service members and families.
– Led radio department, overseeing personnel, shows, news, and spots.
September 1999 – September 2001
Journalist/Public Affairs Specialist
USS Fort McHenry (LSD 43), Sasebo, Japan
– Wrote stories and took photos; ran the closed-circuit television station.
August 1997 – August 1999
Naval Media Center Broadcast Detachment, Manama, Bahrain
– Shot and produced video stories; reproduced news and sports programming for ships in the area.
TECHNCIAL KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
Demonstrated proficiency with the following:
Adobe Creative Suite/Cloud: Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, Premiere
EDUCATION & CERTIFICATIONS:
A.A. Communication Speech (2017)
Instructor Training Course (2014)
Public Affairs Qualification Course (2014)
Broadcast Management Course (2011)
Command Financial Specialist (2009)
Intermediate Photojournalist Course (2008)
Leadership Development Course (2001)
Broadcast Journalist Course (1997)
Basic Journalist Course (1997)